The Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Alicante is located in the heart of the city, opposite the Church of Santa María. An outstanding feature of the museum is the design of the building. The museum itself contains collections of modern art owned by the Town Hall of Alicante. The modern design of El MACA includes the old Casa de La Asegurada, the oldest public building in the city, built in 1685 as a grain store, and an outstanding example of Valencia Baroque. In 1977 it was converted into a museum thanks to the generosity of the local artist Eusebio Sempere, who donated his art collection to the city of Alicante.
It has a temporary exhibition space and four rooms for showing the permanent collections, along with other spaces for the library, courses, meetings, storage areas, workshops, security, administration, etc… The exhibition spaces are large, light-filled areas where the museum's rich and varied collections of modern art are on display, respecting a highly rigorous museum programme in which conservation and education are major priorities.
Guided visits are available